1. Quality : It is a subjective term relating to expectations of the customer on the print job given by him. The level of expectation may vary between the Customer and the Printer, but when some one says ‘I need Quality job’, he expects the finished job to be on par with internationally accepted standards in terms of print quality, appearance and neatly executed job. However there is no measurement to weigh the quality aspect except by comparing one job with another job provided they are of the same variety.
2. Quarto: Any sheet when folded twice, i.e lengthwise once, again another fold lengthwise in the folded Sheet will show ¼ of the original size. The said ¼ th size is called the Quarto. Supposing the sheet is folded twice in irregular manner as shown in the illustration, can each piece be called Quarto? No, unless all the four pieces have equal length and width, and are either rectangle or square in shape, they are not to be called Quarto.
Again another question. If the sheet is folded twice dimensionally and cut, will each triangled sheet be called Quarto? No they will also be not called Quarto but they can be called Quarto tringled paper in non technical way which again is not a standard name.
Much before the A and B sizes of papers were accepted as standard, the personal stationery like the Note Paper and Pads, Envelopes and Long Envelops used to be mentioned in the in the sizes of Post Quarto (9’’x7’’), Large Quarto ( 10’’x8’’) and so on for Note papers and Pads, Duke quarto (3¾’’ x 5¾’’) and Medium Quarto (4¾’’ x 5¾’’) and so on for Envelops.
3. Quotation: There are several meanings for the term Quotation in Printing. The first is the space filling metal material used for locking up the hand composed matter in a metal frame for letterpress printing. They are also called quads or Quadlets or quadrats. Quads are extra wide spaces in the form of thin metal whose height will be less than the type fonts. The thicknesses of the quads will be expressed in terms of multiples of 1 Em space, 2 Em, 3 Em and 4 Em space. Occasionally 5 Em space is also used. The word Em is one of the unit level measurement in hand composing.
The second meaning for the term Quotation is the rates expressed for executing a specific job. The quotation will include cost of all items like paper, materials etc which may be used in the work, labor charges, service charges etc. Some of the charges may be hidden charges.
The third meaning for quotation in printing is suffixed with the word ‘marks’, thus reading quotation marks. Quotation marks always come in pairs. The general rule is that one should remember to open a quotation and close it at the end of the quoted material. The Quotation marks are written as a pair of opening and closing marks (given in Red color) in a sentence as shown below.
4. Quoin : Spelt as coin is a small vise like locking device to tightly lock the composed matter in the metal frame surrounded by metals like Quotations, Furniture and special wooden furniture (Sticks). The frame with composed matter locked with Quoins will be loaded on the Letterpress machine and printed. The Quoin is actually placed beyond the composed matter and in between the spacing material called Furniture that hold the composed matter tight in the frame.
7. Quality control : In any industry, the Quality Control aspect plays a vital role. In major Printing Presses the Quality Control is essential to execute the work to the fullest satisfaction of the Customer. Quality Control doesn’t start and end on printing machine alone. It needs to be practiced right from the stage of procurement of material to the finishing end activities for the product. In order to maintain quality control, certain standard trade practices are followed in each and every processing zone. For example the quality of the negatives made, quality of the plates made, the process and specific chemicals or materials used in those areas, the type of paper and ink procured, paper conditioning, cooling period for the printed stocks, the manner in which they are handled and so on are closely monitored by the Quality Control department by random checking. Random sampling checks to assess the quality of the material used is also done.