Cadmop – 3
.…………………functions of the Supervisor
- Do not be a task master, always be a guide : – The role of a Supervisor is not that of the authoritarian taskmaster. Supervisors are expected to guide their employees and not to micro-manage every movement of him or his activities or tasks while accomplishing the task entrusted to him. Guidance means providing direction, moral support and encouragement as required to carry out the assigned activities and tasks. Additionally, as a guide, Supervisors need to recognize the strengths and weaknesses of employees and suitably tap their strengths to improve weak areas instead of finding fault in each and every step they make. Even if some mistake is committed it should be politely pointed out in the beginning and one should be hard only to uncorrectable employee.
- Monitor performance :- Time to time the Supervisors should monitor the performance of the employees in a suitable manner for smooth functioning in the organization and their progress be evaluated in periodical intervals for achieving the end results. Monitoring does not mean shadowing the performance activities of the employees or to come to some conclusion instantly on his limited performance. The behavioral pattern of employees working under him will be watched and suitably monitored to higher authorities at a suitable time when the supervisor finds it difficult to handle.
- Disciplinary actions :- The first action on the erring employees will be initiated by the Supervisors when all attempts to improve his performance fails. Supervisors are required to carry out disciplinary actions with employees as and when required to ensure positive work environment. In most of the organizations Supervisors are required to review the yearly performance of all of their employees.
- Motivating the employees:- Supervisors are not only responsible for taking disciplinary actions alone, but will have to ensure that work unit under him successfully achieve the targeted goals of the Organization. In this direction the most useful tool available with them is motivating the employees working under them keeping in mind that their growth depends on the growth of the organization and the Supervisor himself. How do they motivate the employees since they have almost nil scope in offering some sort of incentive to employees?
Motivation does not mean extracting more work by offering inducements or making one to show higher performance for giving cash incentive, promotion etc. Supervisors can use a number of motivational techniques some of which are:
- Providing positive feedback to the higher management on the achievements of individuals which should also be made known to the employee themselves.
- Persuading unwilling workers to work hard for achieving targeted goal and resort to adverse reporting only when all efforts to bring the employee on track failed to yield the desired result. This should also be done in full knowledge of the employee who may correct himself on knowing the facts fearing administrative action.
- Never rush to the higher ups reporting petty matters and instead sort out issues at unit level to infuse confidence in the minds of employees working under him.
- Assigning challenging task to individuals within unit work level for testing their skill and then proper reporting to higher authorities on the performance of those really skilled employees in full knowledge of the employee himself who may feel that some one above him is helping him in his career development.
- Providing guidance, support and parting with the techniques which they have learnt by (supervisors) experience over the years for better yield .
- Keep consulting trusted lots in hour of crisis and when positive result is achieved out of the discussion, give credit to the employees whose valuable suggestions contributed to the cause and ensure that the fact is made known to the higher authorities in full knowledge of the employee to infuse more confidence on him.
- Leading the team:- What leadership qualities are required for the Supervisor to lead the team for creating better working atmosphere ? :-
- Not an yes man always to either Management or the Worker. The facts are to be conveyed to higher Management and as disciplined soldier but their advice be followed unless otherwise such advise according to the Supervisor may bring in negative result. The duty of the Supervisor is to express the true opinion, but remain a committed soldier.
- Displaying total commitment to the work.
- Strict in work, but humane in other aspects.
- Interacting effectively between higher management and the subordinates to sort out misgivings.
- Displaying true values and belief in life to the best extent possible.
- Remain neither too close with workmen nor far away from them too.
- Communication only on work to work basis avoiding loose talks and gossiping in work area but at the same time give impression that they are one amongst them. Never allow others to divert their true actions or attention in work.
- Never look everything with suspicion as many ignorant slips in performance may have genuine reasons.
- Always differentiate the relationship between himself and the management on one side and himself and the workers on the other side.
- In the event of an unfortunate incident the supervisor first open up the dialogue with the errant workers either directly or through his trusted friends to convince them that what they are doing is wrong. Till the mission to convince them failed one should not aggravate the situation to go out of hand.
……………….to be continued